In the past, agricultural production was characteristic to the town and its surrounding. Kapuvár lies on an area with significant agricultural traditions. Large-scale farming was established in 1949 in several steps. Collective farms were created, which later converged. After the change of regime, the compensation of former owners and the reorganization of co-operatives completely changed the property and production conditions. It was private farming that became determinant.
Nowadays, fodder-plants, sugar beet and sweet corn grown for refrigerating industrial purposes are the most significant. The cultivation of grain and stoop crops is common in private farms.
Two forestry corporations are working in the field of sylviculture and timbering, and manage the forests of Hany and Rábaköz as well as ensure the continuity of timbering and replanting.
Larger agricultural company, of which activity and labour demand might significantly influence the market situation, does not exist any more.
After the Second World War, development of industry commenced in the 1970’s, when a significant progress began. The old industrial traditions, the processing character (relating to the agricultural production) and the quickly established infrastructural capacity all had positive effects on the development of Kapuvár’s industry.
Food industry and machine industry are typical in Kapuvár, and light industrial factories are also significant.
Cserpes Dairy Company (Cserpes Tejipari Vállalkozás) continuously processes the milk produced by the farmers of the surrounding in their household dairy farms. Its products are marketed in the shops in the Transdanube region.
The plant in Kapuvár of Rába Plc. used to be significant in the town’s industry. The holding company, based in
The largest and most significant company in the field of light industry, which occupies primarily woman work force, is Diadal Garment Trade Private Limited Company (Diadal Ruhaipari Rt.) in Kapuvár. The company – which employs 650 persons – does high-standard contract work for the Western market. Diadal Rt. produces 6-7 million woman underwear to the commission of Triumph International AG. 18 percent of these products are sold in
The other significant representative of light industry is Szabó Industrial Company Limited by Shares (Szabó Ipari Rt.) in Kapuvár. The co-operative was established by 11 tailor craftsmen in 1951. It managed successfully, developed continuously, and became one of the most important factories in the town. Western contract works began in the 1970’s, which completely transformed the life of the co-operative. The production capacity was significantly improved and technology modernized. The company employed nearly 400 persons in 2003. Consigning partners of Szabó Rt. in contract works are Triumph, Kaola, Palmers, Acamp. The co-operative has a wide product range, including underclothes, sportswear and overclothes. Unfortunately, the company had not reached significant success in the last and the current years. The decline in the number of contracts resulted in dismissals, and the entire close down of the factory is also threatening. The workers (mainly women) can not find new job.
It should also be stated that positive results also occurred in the development of industry in the recent years. Besides closing down factories, a new electronic parts assembly plant of 5640 square meters started production, due to the investment of Provertha Private Limited Company (Provertha Rt.). It plans to occupy 200 persons, of whom 78 could already start work in the first phase. This is the largest investment in Kapuvár in the last 30 years.
Kapuvár Building Co-operative (Kapuvári Építőipari Szövetkezet) was founded in 1952, and it was this co-operative that built the most important buildings of Kapuvár, including schools, nurseries, the grammar school, some parts of the hospital, the ambulance station, department stores and flats. The company also renovated and rebuilt several buildings. Nowadays, it is the largest building industrial company in the town.
Great many building industrial small businesses are participating in industrial production and private building.
Significant changes occurred in the commerce of Kapuvár in the past years, which is strongly related to the growth of enterprising spirit, the strengthening of market rules and the increase in tourism. New commercial establishments, lines of shops open one after the other in the city centre as well as in the outer districts, and attract Hungarian and foreign tourists with rich and varied stock.
In 1996, a new market-place and a shopping centre was built. Here 37 shops await the customers in one place.
The presence as well as the commercial and catering trade network of Hanság ÁFÉSZ (General Sales Co-operative) is still determinant, due to its volume. Nowadays, the majority of ÁFÉSZ shops are leased by entrepreneurs. Hanság ÁFÉSZ is at the customers’ and the guests’ service with its meat-processing plant, purchasing network, shop network with eight separate departments, 4 supermarkets, other shops and drink shops as well as a two-star hotel.
Features of commerce and services:
Number of shops in Kapuvár:
Number of persons with sole proprietorship licence, private commercial licence, trade licence, or artisan licence: 800.
The number of entrepreneurs working in the field of insurance, finance and investment has also increased.
This explains the significant fluctuation among entrepreneurs: 260 persons acquire sole proprietorship licence and 160-180 end his/her activity every year.
Several small shops operate in Kapuvár, some of them have been in the town since years or decades, while some of them are new.
Companies with extended commercial network include Penny Market, Vianni, ÖMV and MOL petrol stations, Manna and Forrás supermarkets. New commercial establishments also settled down in Kapuvár: PLUSZ supermarket was opened in 2004, SPAR department store in April 2005, which also improves trade and increases the town’s revenues. Among the larger commercial companies, Rossmann and Euronics also settled down in our town.